Saturday 15 December 2012

On Reading Jacques Barzun's Introduction To Gulliver's Travels And Several Remote Passages Near The End Of The Text Itself



ON READING JACQUES BARZUN’S INTRODUCTION TO GULLIVER’S TRAVELS AND SEVERAL REMOTE PASSAGES NEAR THE END OF THE TEXT ITSELF


I have been a Greater man than I have ever seen,
sometimes, as my mind and spirit go Grand,
still in remembrance of sickened sepulchral times of sin
when I sat sick and only waited for my time to end.
Now I enlarge, as all the world stretches out
against my tread and cannot know that I but tremor and wish
to give as its edge twists with grand lent hands.
But then I fear my own size and length spans –
is it lies?  It must be for no one knows.
And so are all the world’s Souls lost
as our Greatness only goes.


St-Lambert, circa 1984.

No comments:

Post a Comment